Mike ‘Holmes Approved Homes’ demolished due to alleged defects admin18, January 31, 2024 A large excavator tears through a modern house in Meaford, Ont., a picturesque community on Georgian Bay. Occupied for just two years, the home’s once soaring ceilings, big windows and backyard patio are demolished into crushed glass and wood. “It’s traumatic,” said Fayard Johnson, who lives just down the street. “Really surprised to see that my neighbour’s house is going down.” Another home that belongs to Fayard’s next-door neighbour is also slated to be torn down. The demolitions are the latest chapter in the saga of TerraceWood, a housing development launched in Meaford in 2015 to much fanfare. The “boutique” subdivision of houses was built by Third Line Homes and endorsed by celebrity contractor and popular TV host Mike Holmes. Holmes is famously known for rescuing homeowners from botched construction jobs. He promoted TerraceWood, including on a billboard, as “Holmes Approved Homes.” “Third Line Holmes Approved Homes are built with innovation, integrity, and a commitment to make it right,” Holmes said in a promotional YouTube video. Celebrity contractor Mike Holmes promoted the TerraceWood housing development in ads, including one on a billboard in Meaford, Ont. (Third Line Homes/Facebook) But things didn’t go so right according to Tarion, Ontario’s new-home consumer protection organization. As CBC News previously reported, Tarion filed an $8 million lawsuit in 2021 against parties involved in the project, alleging 14 TerraceWood houses were built with defects. Now, CBC has learned that Tarion has condemned three of those homes. Two have already been torn down and the third is waiting for a demolition date. “Given the nature of the defects discovered” in the houses, “demolition was a more reasonable option than repair,” Tarion spokesperson Andrew Donnachie said in an email. Some defendants in the suit claim it was incorrect to condemn all three homes. Watch / Why some Mike ‘Holmes Approved Homes’ are being demolished Why some Mike ‘Holmes Approved Homes’ are now being demolished CBC News has learned two homes in a Meaford, Ont., development promoted by celebrity contractor Mike Holmes have been demolished because of alleged defects. CBC News’s Sophia Harris breaks down what went wrong and Holmes’s company’s response. CBC also found land registry documents showing one of Holmes’s companies provided Third Line Homes with a total of $390,000 in private mortgages to help it buy land for the development. Some homeowners say they’re disappointed that Holmes, whose motto is to “make it right,” never returned to TerraceWood to help make things right in this case. “The neighbourhood has been disturbed,” said Fayard, whose TerraceWood house recently underwent major repairs instead of being torn down. “If (Holmes) had come and taken a look and said, ‘Well this is what’s wrong and this is how I can help,’ I think that that would have been a stand-up thing to do,” he said. “After all, it was Holmes Approved Home(s).” $8-million lawsuit Tarion was established by the Ontario government to help ensure defects discovered in new homes still under warranty are repaired — even if the builder reneges on its warranty obligations. In its lawsuit, Tarion alleges the 14 TerraceWood houses were built with flaws such as improperly installed roofs, water leakage and major structural issues that raise “serious safety concerns.” Tarion alleges the builder, Third Line Homes, failed to fix the defects, so Tarion has been paying for all the repairs. The lawsuit targets more than a dozen parties associated with the project, including principals with Third Line Homes, the Municipality of Meaford, which inspected the houses, and The Holmes Group, Mike Holmes’s company. The parties deny any wrongdoing in their statements of defence. The case has yet to go to trial. Fayard Johnson moved into his new TerraceWood house in late 2016. But he says he had to move out of the house for more than year to make way for major structural repairs. (John Lesavage/CBC) Fayard said Holmes’s association with the project influenced his decision to buy into TerraceWood. “You feel that if it’s Holmes approved, that it’s most likely something that you can put your money on,” he said. In 2016, Holmes posed in Fayard’s doorway for a promotional photo during construction, giving his trademark “thumbs-up.” But, according to Tarion’s lawsuit, Fayard’s house had defects. He said he and his wife had to move out in 2022 for more than a year to make way for major structural repairs, such as replacing a wrong-sized beam holding up the second floor. “We were told that there was danger. As a matter of fact, when they did do the shoring up, we couldn’t come in at any time,” Fayard said. “It was very emotional. I mean, before the move, during the move, and living somewhere else.… It’s affected our life greatly, probably for the rest of our lives.” In 2016, Mike Holmes gave a thumbs-up at Fayard’s TerraceWood house during construction. The photo was used to help promote the project. (Submitted by Fayard Johnson) Neighbours Andrea Hart and Myles Johnson, no relation to Fayard Johnson, said they also had to vacate their house — for an entire year — while it underwent repairs including structural fixes. That was in 2022. They’re back in the house now. But six years after the couple first got the keys to their new home, it’s still under repair. When CBC News recently visited the couple, the home’s exterior siding was being replaced. “It wasn’t installed correctly,” said Myles. “We’re getting tired of it,” Andrea said. “We just want to see it done.” Myles Johnson and Andrea Hart moved into their new TerraceWood House in 2018. But the couple said they had to move out for all of 2022 to make way for major repairs, including structural fixes. (Sophia Harris/CBC) The couple said Holmes’s endorsement was the main reason they bought into TerraceWood. “You would think buying a Mike Holmes Approved Home, there would be no problems. It would be perfect,” said Andrea. Company connected to Holmes loaned builder money Tarion’s lawsuit alleges The Holmes Group failed to do house inspections for homeowners who had commissioned them and misrepresented Third Line Homes as a competent builder. In its statement of defence, The Holmes Group claimed it “made no representations” to anyone regarding the development, wasn’t hired by any homeowners to do inspections and, in fact, “had no involvement whatsoever” with the project. Maybe not, but ads for the project and documents CBC News uncovered suggest that Mike Holmes, the celebrity, and two of his other companies were involved — in several ways. Ontario land registry records show that M. Holmes Holdings Ltd., where Mike Holmes is listed as president and treasurer, provided Third Line Homes with two mortgages at 10 per cent interest to help it buy 25 TerraceWood plots of land. The mortgages totalled $390,000. Fayard was surprised when CBC News showed him the mortgage documents. “It shows that he was involved from the start,” said Fayard. “It’s making me feel even a little bit more disturbed that he didn’t come around to help us out when we were looking for help,” he added. “That’s hurtful.” WATCH | $8-million lawsuit alleges defects in ‘Holmes Approved Homes’: Development promoted by Mike Holmes now subject of $8-million lawsuit An Ontario housing development promoted by celebrity contractor Mike Holmes is now the subject of an $8-million lawsuit filed after some homeowners said their new houses had defects. Now, Holmes’s company is one of over a dozen defendants being targeted. Another company, a numbered corporation where Mike Holmes is listed as president, bought a TerraceWood property for an undisclosed amount. The purchase was reflected in several TerraceWood ads that declared Holmes bought the subdivision’s first house. In 2016, Holmes posed for a promotional photo in front of the house, owned by the numbered company he’s connnected to, giving it a “thumbs-up.” A few sighs from the crew when <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/MikeHolmes?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#MikeHolmes</a> gave a thumbs up after approving his new home at <a href=”https://t.co/CjdKipnqm4″>https://t.co/CjdKipnqm4</a> <a href=”https://t.co/102mHvmrso”>pic.twitter.com/102mHvmrso</a> —@TerraceWood According to land registry records, the company sold the house to a couple in 2017 for $790,000. When it was listed, the Holmes Approved Homes Facebook page promoted the listing, stating, “You can’t go wrong with this #HolmesApproved Home, buil Развлечение Post navigation Previous postNext post Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *Comment * Name * Email * Website Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.